Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Feeling Stuck. December 3, 2017.




o   One of the most common experiences of everyone in the world is that feeling of being stuck.

o   We feel stuck in our relationships. We feel stuck without relationships. We feel stuck by our job. We feel stuck because we don’t have a job. We feel stuck by our health. We feel stuck by our addictions.

o   We feel stuck when we don’t take responsibility, and we feel stuck when we do.

o   We feel stuck because of something we don’t want to talk about, our sin.

o   For much of my life, I have felt stuck.

o   While there are a variety of reasons for that feeling, like being bullied and intimidated throughout my early schooling, family of origin dysfunctions, and generational sin, the point is I was stuck.

o   I felt stuck as a husband and a father and I felt stuck as a pastor.

o   Many times, I reached out for help through personal coaching or counselling and each time changes began, but I would soon fall back into my old patterns and ways and stay stuck.

o   Three years ago, I began my journey to intentionally get unstuck.

o   What began with a spiritual retreat for pastors became an expedition to rediscover my soul and who God made me to be.

o   First, what I discovered through the Emotionally Healthy Spirituality Course was that although I have Jesus in my life, I also have grandpa in my bones.

o   While I know Jesus and I love Jesus, my ways of relating to others came from what I learned at home and at school, which I might add is true for most everyone.

o   While I know Jesus, my relationships did not follow the pattern of his relationships.

o   The relationships of Jesus were emotionally and spiritually healthy, while my relationships usually were not.

o   Therefore, for the past three years, I have been focused on re-learning to make Jesus my foundation for all my relationships and to persevere.

o   Perseverance, coping with adversity, continuing to endure life’s trials without self-destructing, and constructing a sense of identity that is grounded in Christ has been the most recent focus of my expedition this year.

o   One of the most important things that I have learned in the last three years is this: my doing for Jesus needs to flow out of my being with Jesus.

o   Being with God must come before doing for God. That is the first step on the road to emotional and spiritual maturity.

o   When I realized that and began to put it into practice my life began to get unstuck.

o   As I said at the beginning, everyone experiences that feeling of being stuck and the thing we want to face the least is our sin.

o   Of course, feeling stuck is nothing new; the prophet Isaiah felt the same way.

o   No wonder! God sent Isaiah to preach to a people who would not listen.

o   God’s people repeatedly turned their backs on God, so God allowed them to be carried off into exile.

o   Isaiah’s country was in shambles, the wall of Jerusalem a pile of rubble, and the temple of the Lord destroyed.

o   All around Isaiah his world was in chaos and ruin.

o   If ever anyone had a right to feel stuck it was the prophet Isaiah.

o   He declared in Isaiah 64:1-9 that without God, we are stuck!

o   “If only you would tear the heavens open and come down, so that mountains would quake at your presence – just as fire kindles brushwood, and fire boils water – to make your name known to your enemies, so that nations will tremble at your presence! When you did awesome works that we did not expect, you who came down, and the mountains quaked at your presence. From ancient times no one has heard, no one has listened to, no eye has seen any God except you who acts on behalf of the one who waits for him. You welcome the one who joyfully does what is right; they remember you in your ways. But we have sinned, and you were angry. How can we be saved if we remain in our sins? All of us have become like something unclean, and all our righteous acts are like a polluted garment; all of us wither like a leaf, and our iniquities carry us away like the wind. No one calls on your name, striving to take hold of you. For you have hidden your face from us and made us melt because of our iniquity. Yet Lord, you are our Father; we are the clay, and you are our potter; we all are the work of your hands. Lord, do not be terribly angry or remember our iniquity forever. Please look – all of us are your people!” (CSB)

o   Isaiah was genuinely grieved by the situation all around him.

o   He was grieved that God chose not to show up like the ways he had in the past.

o   He was grieved that God had not destroyed the enemies of his people.

o   He was grieved that no one was waiting on the Lord and doing what was right.

o   He was grieved that God’s people were stuck in their sins.

o   “How can we be saved if we remain in our sins?” He asked.

o   Isaiah was grieved by people’s good deeds which were a filthy cover-up for hearts that did not seek God.

o   He was grieved that God had seemingly gone into hiding while his people were perishing.

o   But Isaiah also knew that God was in control and that like clay God can take his people and shape them for his purposes as a skilled potter.

o   Therefore, Isaiah asks God not to let his anger be the last word and instead of remembering their sins see the trouble that they are in and remember they are his people.

o   Do not we want the very same things Isaiah wanted?

o   Don’t we know that we are stuck without God?

o   We know we need God and we want him to tear the heavens open and come down.

o   We want him to destroy our enemies and set things right, but do we wait for God and joyfully do what’s right?

o   Are we so busy always doing things for God that our good deeds are just a filthy cover-up for not taking the time to be with God?

o   Advent is about preparing for the coming of the Lord.

o   But are we really prepared to meet the Lord whose presence makes the mountains quake and nations tremble if we do not sit in silence and wait for him?

o   We know he is the potter and we are the clay, but do we really want him to come and set us free from ourselves and our sin and the brokenness of our world?

o   Why don’t we see that we are stuck, and we need God?

o   Perhaps we are in denial; we think, “I’m fine. I’m good. It’s everybody around me who needs to hear this sermon. I have dealt with my sin; I’m right with God.”

o   Please, do not be so certain about that. Dealing with sin is not a one-time thing for us, but a daily thing.

o   God dealt with sin once and for all on the cross of Christ, but we still live on this broken earth in these sinful bodies, so we must deal with our sins every day. Repentance is a daily thing.

o   Perhaps we don’t see that we are stuck, and we need God because of fear.

o   We fear what we will have to give up, what we will have to confess, what we will have to confront in ourselves, and what God will ask of us.

o   We are afraid of everything we will have to surrender.

o   But what I am more afraid of is what will happen if I don’t surrender.

o   What will happen if I don’t confess? What will happen if I don’t give up whatever it is I need to give up? And what won’t happen if I do not follow what God asks of me?

o   What kind of blessings will I miss out on if I surrender to fear instead of surrendering to God?

o   We also don’t see that we are stuck and need God because we feel we need to be in control.

o   When we are stuck, and we need help, then we must surrender control to God.

o   That stubborn refusal to relinquish control to God comes from pride.

o   I don’t know about you, but I do know about me.

o   I have seen the kind of mess that my life gets into when I do not let God be God and be in control of my every day life.

o   All of us have got to let go of our foolish pride and surrender control to the one who is seated at the right hand of the Father, running all things by the power of his spoken word, Jesus.

o   When we surrender our denial, our fears, and our need to be in control, then we are ready to believe Jesus can make us new!

o   Are we willing to be the clay and let him be the potter?

o   Believe Jesus can make us new!

o   December is often the time of year people think about making New Year’s resolutions, but we all know what usually happens to New Year’s resolutions before the end of January.

o   Therefore, this Advent I want to invite us to do something different.

o   As we believe Jesus can make us new, I want to invite us to ask the Lord for one word.

o   To help me out this morning with explaining what I’m talking about I’m going to invite Toni to come and share a short testimony about her experience with asking God for one word.

o   Toni, won’t you come share with us.

o   (Toni shares.)

o   Everybody experiences feelings of being stuck, but God in Christ has broken into the world.

o   Jesus has torn open the heavens and come down, he gave sin a mighty deathblow in his cross, he sent the Holy Spirit to be the power we need, and he is coming again.

o   Believe Jesus can make us new!

o   Are we willing to be the clay and let Jesus be the potter?

o   Are we willing to let him make us new?

o   I encourage you to pray and ask the Lord for that one word, and prayerfully put it into practice.

o   Believe Jesus can make us new!

No comments:

Post a Comment