Monday, November 3, 2014

Proverbs, Practical Kingdom Living, #7: Living Rightly Gives Strength Sunday, November 2, 2014

o   In the United States, the Internal Revenue Service has what's called a conscience fund which receives anonymous contributions from people who have cheated the government out of money in the past and who want to make up for it to clear their consciences, but don't want to risk criminal prosecution. The conscience fund received a check for $500 from a man who included the following note: "I have not been able to sleep ever since I cheated you out of some money, so here's a check for $500. If I still can't sleep, I'll send you the rest."
o   This person, who was going completely the wrong direction, decided to start heading in the right direction, but fell short.
o   Wisdom doesn't belong to people who are only willing to go part or halfway. No, wisdom belongs to people who are willing to go all the way.
o   When I fear God, I won't go halfway with Him; I'll go all the way.
o    Solomon taught his son that a wise person sets the course of life by consistently choosing what is good, right, and true.
o   Living rightly means choosing to live by God's standards rather than our standards.
o   Chapters 10 to 15 are loaded with Proverbs about this, but let's look at a few ways Proverbs demonstrates this ideal.
o   #1. Proverbs 10:6-7. These verses emphasize God's blessing upon the righteous over the dishonorable name of the wicked.
o   Proverbs 10:6-7, "Blessings are on the head of the righteous, but the mouth of the wicked conceals violence. The memory of the righteous is a blessing, but the name of the wicked will rot."
o   In these two Proverbs, Solomon presents and restates the covenant God gave Israel through Moses, laying before the people a choice between a blessing and a curse.
o   The picture of blessing is like a crown on a person's head that is easily seen by all, and their memory is like an inheritance of blessing passed down to the next generation.
o   The blessing of God is never just for the self; God gives a blessing with the intention that it be shared.
o   The picture of wickedness is that of words that are merely a thin veil over violent intentions and like a person without honor, the name of the wicked will rot as offensive and as unclean as a decomposing corpse, disgusting and repulsive.
o   God's blessing is upon the righteous, whereas the name of the wicked is without honor.
o   #2. Proverbs 11:18-20. These verses stress that the wicked live for the moment, but the righteous look to the long haul.
o   Proverbs 11:18-20, "The wicked earns deceptive wages, but the one who sows righteousness gets a sure reward. Whoever is steadfast in righteousness will live, but he who pursues evil will die. Those of crooked heart are an abomination to the Lord, but those of blameless ways are his delight."
o   The wicked, says Solomon, earn deceptive wages. What are these wages? Nothing but hot air. Why hot air? Because you can't take earthly wealth with you when you die.
o   What is the reward for those who sow (i.e., plant) what's good, right, and true?
o   Life, Solomon says, their reward is life, and that this reward is sure points to the promise of eternal life, which is fulfilled today in the Lord Jesus Christ who died and was raised so that all might be able to choose life in him.
o   We also see here that God has a strong opinion about the crooked versus the blameless.
o   The crooked are an abomination, God finds their attitudes and actions disgusting or revolting.
o   Those whose ways are blameless, however, are his delight; he delights in those who choose what's good, right, and true.
o   And God will delight in you and me as we choose to build our lives upon the one who is the way, the truth, and the life, the Lord Jesus Christ.
o   The wicked live for the moment, but the righteous look to the long haul.
o   #3. Proverbs 12:2-3. These verses emphasize that God is the link between faith, morality, and security.
o   Proverbs 12:2-3, "A good man obtains favor from the Lord, but a man of evil devices he condemns. No one is established by wickedness, but the root of the righteous will never be moved."
o   God is the link between faith, morality and security.
o   "A good man" refers to the one whose attitudes and actions are worthy of approval, who is morally upright and beneficial to others, whereas an evil person tries to keep control over his or her life at all times.
o   The wicked are only concerned about their own devices, but God's grace is upon those who realize that their life is rooted and established in someone greater than themselves, which is God, who alone is good.
o   Ultimately, goodness finds its source in God. He is the root of the righteous.
o   If I want security, then I must trust God, and if I'm going to trust God for my security, then I need to live by his standards.
o   Proverbs tells us that the good, the upright, the righteous have life and are established and rooted so that they can't be uprooted and it also tells us that they are a blessing.
o   However, elsewhere in the Bible the psalmist tells us in Psalm 14 and again in 53, "there is no one who does good, not even one."
o   Unless I am rooted and established in the Lord, my goodness can never measure up to God's standards.
o   I can never be good enough, but the Lord Jesus has changed all that.
o   When we place our faith and trust in him, our debt of sin he paid with his blood and God the Father accepts his goodness in our place.
o   The goodness of the Lord Jesus now belongs to us. We have direct access to his goodness to change our lives so that we can be truly good.
o   The Lord Jesus went all the way to the cross, died, was buried, and rose again on the third day according to the Scriptures.
o   He didn't go halfway; he went all the way.
o   When I fear God, I won't go halfway with him; I'll go all the way.
o   Many years ago, Arnold Prater shared the following story.
o   "A man I knew who stood behind the second chair in the barbershop was a friend of mine, but this fellow in the second chair, a man about 65 years of age, was about the vilest, most vulgar, profane, wicked-talking man I had ever known.
o   "He must've had some kind of fixation on preachers, because it seemed to me that every time I came in the shop, he doubled his output.
o   "One day when I went in, he was gone. I asked my barber friend where he was, and he said, 'Oh, he's been desperately ill. For a while, they despaired of his life.'
o   "Perhaps six weeks later, I was entering the post office when I heard my name, and I turned and saw the profane man. He was seated in the car so that he could see the people walking in and out of post office.
o   "He was a mere shadow of a man, and his face was the color of death itself. He crooked a long bony finger at me, and I walked over to where he was.
o   "He said in a voice so weak I had to lean over to hear it, 'Preacher, I want to tell you something. I was in a coma down at the hospital. And I could hear the doctor tell my wife, I don't think he can last another hour.'
o   "Then his voice trembled and it was a moment before he could continue. Then he said, 'Preacher, I ain't never prayed in my entire life… But I prayed then. I said, Oh God, if there is a God, I need you now. And when I said that… I don't know how to put it into words… But he was there. He came.'
o   "Then tears welled up in his reddened eyes, and then he said, 'Just think, Preacher, I kicked him in the face every day of my life for 60 years, and the first time I called his name, he came."

o   When I fear God, I won't go halfway with Him; I'll go all the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment